Thursday 8 April 2010

06/04/2010 Hope not only meets despair in equal measures….. It drowns it!’[James Maskalyk]

Gimbie looks different in the light! It’s beautiful, much greener than I imagined and a lot poorer than I have ever seen before. The people of Gimbie tell a story with their eyes. A story I hope to learn and I hope to be apart of.

I woke up feeling a little like I have been hit by a bus and smoked 100 cigarettes in my sleep… I hadn’t of course, so wondered why I felt like I had! So I sat for a while… then it made sense as I looked out over or above Ethiopia! We are 2000 meters above sea level here!!! I think it may take a little time for my body to adjust, well I hope a little time, as I don’t have a lot of time… I’ve got to hit the ground running, no time for slow adjustment!

It’s about 140 steps to the hospital, I will of course count them soon and tell you exactly… but I think I will go with 140 for now. I couldn’t believe it, walking up those steps felt like finishing a marathon. My lungs being vacuumed to the size of a small walnut, leaving me with no air to breath! I think I will train hard and set myself a goal… By the end of my trip I will jog the 140 steps to the hospital… okay actually maybe just walking them without flaking out and needing a rest every 6 steps; this feels like a good challenge!

I had a warm welcome to the maternity unit; people here are, as expected, as friendly as you could wish for! Big smiles, lots of hugs and a language that I of course have no understanding of!

The unit is busy, my first patient is having twins, the first baby arrives… Dead! I can’t believe it… not my first delivery here. Can I go though this again? How much pain can one feel before they become numb? I hope I never know the answer to that! But I’m here, I knew it wasn’t going to be easy and so I will take that deep breath and give all that I have to give and hope that in some way I can make a difference.
The next baby arrives…. Oh god, please breathe…. We spent a while inflating his small lungs with air and then came the sound all midwifes long to hear… a cry!

I think now comes the perfect opportunity to tell you my favorite quote by James Maskalyk. A quote that has become my mantra and will keep me strong, focused and here!

‘Hope not only meets despair in equal measures… It drowns it!’

No comments:

Post a Comment